Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Yesterday, the UA Department of Art and Art History, along with a couple other groups on campus, had Victoria Rowell, dancer, actress and author, come and give a lecture as a part of the Paul R. Jones Lecture Series.(more on who Paul R. Jones shortly). Victoria is also A FORMER FOSTER CHILD, and an incredible advocate for foster care and adoption. When I recieved an email stating she was coming to Alabama, I nearly fell out of my chair. I was so excited to hear her speak and I was hoping I might get to at least say hello! I emailed my art history professor, Dr. Amaki, who happened to be in charge of this lecture, and asked if I could possibly meet Victoria and share with her what we are doing with BigHouse. Next thing I know, Blake and I are at a private Luncheon with Victoria and Paul R. Jones, as well as some other professors and administrators at Alabama. What an incredible honor! We introduced ourselves to her, and when I finished telling her about my family and BigHouse, she gave me a hug! I haven't met many "celebrities", but she has to be the most down to earth, gracious celebrity there is. I gave her a brochure and my business card(which I proudly designed myself!). She signed my copy of her book(which is incredible and you should all read it!) and gave me her personal card!!! How awesome! Before we left, we also got an opportunity to talk to Paul R. Jones, who is probably in his 80's, but doesn't miss a beat. He recently gave UA a collection of art worth 4.5 million dollars. We told him who we were and a little about BigHouse, to which he replied "I'll have to come down and visit ya'll sometime, Opelika is not far from Atlanta at all." uh-OK! We told him to come anytime he wants to!

After we left the luncheon, I was so excited that we got to meet her and give her our card. I was just hoping that God would use that in the future, reminding her somehow of that couple she met at Alabama who had a big dream. Well, God is a much bigger dreamer than I am, and I know He has much bigger dreams for BigHouse than I can even fathom.

Monday evening, I went early to work the book table before Victoria's Lecture. I was just helping Dr, Amaki and paying my "dues" for getting such an awesome opportunity earlier in the day. I had already decided I was going to get a few more copies of her book for my mom and BigHouse, and I told Dr. Amaki I wanted to go ahead and buy them before so I could have her sign them afterward. She said I should go with her to the reception room where Victoria was and go ahead and have them signed. Well, ok, that would be great! Right before we walked back to the reception, my friend Lauren walked up to the table and bought a book. I asked Dr. Amaki if she could come get her copy signed too, and she said sure. We walked into the reception, and there were about 5 people waiting to get a book signed by Victoria. When it was our turn, Victoria said "Hey, I have all your info you gave me in my briefcase :)". I was just glad she recognized me from earlier. I don't really remember what happened next, but Lauren and I talked to her about BigHouse for at least 10 minutes. She asked us tons of questions, and she seemed genuinely interested in what we were doing. Then she said she wanted to come back to Alabama for a week in the fall, and she wanted to work it out to come to Opelika and help us with BigHouse- I nearly hit the floor...
She even mentioned BigHouse in her speech!

The whole day was just a GOD-THING. It is so clear He had His hands in it... At the end of the night, when I was recapping my exciting experience of the whole process of BigHouse with Dr, Amaki, she said "God is all in this thing... I don't wanna even know what kinda stuff ya'll are gonna be doing in 5 years!" Well, I am pretty sure I couldn't even dream it up!!!

"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."Eph. 3:20-21

No comments: