Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Feeling grown up...

Some days/weeks at BigHouse, I feel a little more "grown up" than others. This week has been one of those weeks! We started the week with a board meeting, and then had a meeting yesterday with the group hosting a golf tournament for us. This morning, I met with an AU Social Work Professor because we are blessed to have a practicum student with us this summer. For those of you who may not know what a practicum student is/does, it's a student preparing to start their social work classes who gets field experience by spending 90 hrs working with a community organization. This is our first time to have a practicum student, so we are learning about the program as we go!

This morning, I felt very "growny" while reporting on this student's performance (which has been great!) and what things she has been able to do so far while at BigHouse. This was our mid-term report and I will also evaluate her experience at the end of the summer semester. It has really helped me think about what kind of opportunities and experiences we can expose our volunteers to while they help at BigHouse. They are learning and growing right along side us and thankfully, they don't expect us to have all the answers yet. We will also have a practicum student to help this fall! I am excited!

Here is a little introduction to our summer practicum student!

Elana Greenwood
Rising Junior in Social Work at Auburn.
"I lean not on my own understanding,
my life is in the hands of the maker of heaven."

Sometimes I feel a little bit like the blind leading the blind at BigHouse. I am 2 years out of college trying to tell college juniors and seniors all I "know" about running a non-profit and helping kids in foster care. Needless to say, I don't know "a lot"... but I do know who has the answers, the plan, and the means to make our dreams for BigHouse a reality. Please join me in praying that God will continue to guide our steps and help us feel more equipped to do the job at hand!

1 comment:

shealy w. said...

love this. you know a lot more than you think you do, micah!